Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Collegiality

A hard day yesterday, one of several. There was too much work and not enough time. There were the typical absurdities. But there were also revelations, shared laughter, plans for drinks after work. There was gallows humor.  In short, there was collegiality.

Every group of people creates its own force field. As we interview candidates for openings in the department I think a lot about the ineffable qualities that make for a trusted colleague. It's a similar approach, a complementary attitude, a sense of humor. Sometimes you get it right; sometimes you don't.

People who write have a tendency to get caught in webs of their own thinking. It was in part to avoid this trap that I entered the office world again. I can't say I haven't second-guessed my decision hundreds of times. But I didn't yesterday.

Collegiality is often a haphazard affair, a byproduct, the luck of the draw. But once you've known the joy and purpose of working together toward a common goal it's difficult to go back.

Labels: ,

blogger counters