Monday, May 26, 2014

In Memoriam

What you remember is the precision, even in death: straight lines, markers in rows. Such even rows that it's hard to tell if there are hundreds of graves or thousands. Of course there are thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands when you add them all up.  The final resting place of those who served.

There are 131 national veteran's cemeteries in this country and many more state and local ones. My dad lies in the Camp Nelson National Cemetery, only miles from the Kentucky River. It has a history of its own — a civil war camp where the wounded were treated and African American soldiers enlisted.

It's a sunny, placid place with a roll to the land and a few big trees along the borders. I visited in April, got a better view of what I couldn't quite take in before. It's proper and dignified, the grounds meticulously maintained.

It's amazing the pull the place has on me now. I wish I was there today.


(This photograph is of Arlington.)


Labels: , ,

blogger counters