Friday, July 4, 2014

Ale & Cobblestones: An Alternative 4th

Sometimes I'm glad it's a holiday because I want to celebrate the holiday. Other times I'm glad it's a holiday because I need a day off.  The lack of patriotic imagery at the top of the page will explain how I feel about today.

Actually, I've been laughing this morning over something I heard on the radio driving to Kentucky yesterday. It's about an ad campaign for Newcastle Brown Ale, imagining if Britain had won the war.

"Coast-to-coast cobblestones, shoe shines on every corner, all the fish head pie you can eat. And at the end of the day you'd kick back and surf through all five of our government-run television stations."

That's dialogue from one of the spots. Other advantages of "Great Britain 2": Lovely accents, free health care (if you don't mind waiting a couple of years for an appointment) and colorful curse words.

The ads are hilarious. But don't take my word for it. Listen for yourself. And dream about driving on the left, eating mushy peas and having tea and scones every afternoon.

Happy 4th!


Labels:

blogger counters