Monday, September 8, 2014

View from a Hammock

Speaking of (pictures of) hammocks, I spent some time in one yesterday. I'd been looking at it longingly all week but there was no time to partake. The weather was summer but the work load was decidedly back-to-school. By this weekend, though, with a big project completed and the house (relatively) clean, I had no choice but to relax.

It's funny that hammocks are so often the symbol of carefree existence. Perhaps it's their weightlessness or their airiness, the fact that they swing.

Or maybe it's their contours and mechanics. While I've often heard of folks flopping into a hammock, you cannot flop into mine. The contraption is not easy to get into or out of. In that sense it holds me captive. Once I get into it, am I  really going to try and get out very quickly?

Take yesterday, for instance, I had my pillow, my journal, a book, a phone and of course, the requisite glass of iced tea. Imagine the logistics of assembling all that within arm's reach. I didn't stir for an hour. Then again, why would I want to?

Labels: ,

blogger counters