Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Legacy Trail

In Lexington this weekend I was in mild trail withdrawal. For a couple of years I'd noticed what appeared to be a paved path running along Newtown Pike, my way out of town. And every time I'd notice it, too late to explore, I'd tell myself, next time.

This time was next time, so I did a little Googling, figured out approximately where it began, and stumbled upon the Northside YMCA trailhead by a happy accident. This is no cross-county trail. It's 12 miles, not 40, and it has a self-consciousness that the Fairfax County trail lacks.

But it did what all good trails do: It took me out of the here and now, plunked me down into some other realm where roads are crossed at odd angles and places I normally zoom by are viewed slowly and in great detail.

It was sunny when I started, but I walked so far that it was almost dark by the time I got back to my car. The lights of Lexington blinked in the distance. I was in my hometown but I was not. I was in some other place, on a trail.


Labels: , , ,

blogger counters