Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Cyber Shopping

I have not yet gone completely over to the dark side, but night before last I spent several hours succumbing to the unique pleasures of Cyber Monday. It's a strange experience, shopping online. I've done it often before, of course, but never is such, uh, volume.

There are the obvious differences: One is not strolling through a store, searching for and finding and then touching the merchandise. One is sitting on the couch in fuzzy pink bedroom slippers while a cold rain falls. The coziness of the living room may inspire more of a spending frenzy. But I don't think so. The bargains speak for themselves.

More to the point, there is an unreality to it. The slacks and sweaters and blouses look like paper doll clothes. I could almost cut them out and fold their little tabs over the shoulders of cardboard models.

But instead I whip out my tired old credit card, type in the numbers and click "Buy." It's all so easy and virtual — until the boxes and the bills start arriving. I'm expecting them tomorrow.

(Even cyber gifts must be wrapped in real paper.)

Labels:

blogger counters