Monday, March 16, 2015

March ... Well, You Know

I'm not a sports person, so am probably not the best individual to make this observation: But is it possible that "Selection Sunday," the art and science of brackets and the NCAA Basketball Tournament in general is a bigger deal than it used to be?

A special section of the Washington Post is dedicated to it today (there have been special sections for years) and a picture of nervous Maryland fans appears on the front page. I missed the televised hoopla but of course there's plenty of it. And it's been dominating social media as well.

There are many reasons for this trend, I'm sure, including the prodigious amounts of money wagered on the games. But this year I'm less interested in the why of March madness than I am in the fact that it means there are even more people pulling for Kentucky to lose.

If there ever was an "overdog" my team is it! Undefeated in the regular season. All school records broken. Just a bit of pressure! More than there used to be? Yes. More than they can handle? That remains to be seen.

(View from the University of Kentucky Library ... yes, they have a library.)


Labels:

blogger counters