Monday, September 14, 2015

High Season

This is the high season for trail walking. Chilly mornings give way to warm, dry afternoons. The air has a freshness to it, which energizes and motivates. It pushes us up and out, makes us move even when we don't much feel like it.

I feel like trail-walking this morning but new responsibilities have me in the office today. If I'm lucky I'll pound some pavement at lunchtime, and that will energize and motivate in a different way.

But for now I'll dream of a clearing in the forest, a hard-packed path winding out from it, oaks and maples and hickories arching over browning ferns and reddening blackgum. The trail won't yet be covered but there will be enough leaves to provide a crunch when I walk. A soundtrack for the stroll.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters