Saturday, September 12, 2015

Time, Place and Prairie

Last weekend at the National Book Festival, author Marilynne Robinson said some things about time and place that I'm still thinking about.

On time: She sets her books 40 to 50 years in the past, she says, because she likes to write about a period when people had less access to each other, more privacy; when they couldn't always be reached. "I think it made people think differently," she said. "I like people who think long thoughts."

On space: A native of the East, the Berkshires, Robinson had to learn to read the landscape of the Midwest. "I find the prairie very beautiful," she said. But there was was not an automatic affinity. "I wanted my soul to love the landscape."

In time, she said, it did.

Time for place. And a place that grants time.

Labels: ,

blogger counters