Monday, April 25, 2016

Bumper Crop

I've never seen as many violets as I have this spring, and in this I can't help but see Mom's hand. Not that she is any position to command the growth cycles of plants. (If she is, I'll ask her to help our lawn!) But we both loved violets, and I feel her spirit in every one of these pretty flowers.

And then there is our balky lilac bush. Lilacs were another flower Mom loved. In fact, she wanted to carry white lilacs on her wedding day but was told they were out of season so she settled for stephanotis.

Our lilac has suddenly got the hang of blooming after two decades in the ground. Last year it sprouted a tiny cluster of flowers, and this year has more than doubled its blooms. With sunlight streaming into the yard as it does now, it will be no time before the bush is hanging its head with the weight of its sweet, fragrant flowers.

Or at least that's what I'm hoping. So it's not exactly a bumper crop, not yet. But someday...


Labels: ,

blogger counters