Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Self and Silliness

Halloween has snuck up on me this year. Being out of town for a few days, being busy ... But here we are on the day, little ghosts and goblins getting geared up for their big nights on the town.

I'm thinking about some of the girls' best childhood costumes, which were made by their grandmother: a colorful clown, cuddly lion, tusked elephant and a seal made out of some sort of naugahyde fabric that I can't even imagine cutting, let alone sewing.

Then came the in-between years, when make-up replaced masks. One year Suzanne went as some sort of a sprite or spirit with greenish skin and lots of eye shadow.

On Halloween we can pretend to be something we are not. But that was often the case when raising young children. I might be called on to cackle like a witch or moo like a cow at any time. The line between self and silliness was thin to nonexistent.

Now I'm myself all the time. As the girls would say ... borrrrring.


Labels: ,

blogger counters