Friday, December 1, 2017

R.I.P., Writer's Almanac

It always seemed too good to be true, a radio show just for writers. And now it's gone dark. Every link I click leads to a Minnesota Public Radio statement about Garrison Keillor's alleged sexual misconduct and the organization's decision to terminate its relationship with him, Prairie Home Companion and the Writer's Almanac.

The show had a 24-year run, debuting in 1993. I don't remember when I first started listening to it on the radio, but I do know I'd turn up the dial whenever it came on, would glean some historical fact or the other, that it was birthday of George Eliot or the anniversary of the publication of Walden. When my own muse was on holiday, the Writer's Almanac muse would step in. In one month, November 2011, it came to the rescue several times.

That was the fall I took the wonderful class A Sense of Place, whose professor, Charlie Yonkers (who became a friend), urged us all to have the Almanac delivered to our in-boxes. I did, and have never stopped.

My radio show station, WAMU, stopped airing the program a  few months ago, so I'd been paying even closer attention to the emails. The last one arrived November 29, which was, it informed me, the birthday of Bronson Alcott, Louisa May Alcott and C.S. Lewis. How will I learn this stuff now? Even the archives are gone.

So I re-read this last entry, pondered its power to inspire, my eyes lingering on the last line. It was the way all the Almanacs signed off, and I can hear Keillor reading these words in his distinctive deep baritone: "Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."

Labels:

blogger counters