Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Two-Hour Delay

When I was a kid, you either had school or you did not. There was no in between. By the time I had children, the two-hour delay was well established.

In many ways it makes sense. Icy mornings often moderate, and two hours can make a big difference in the condition of roads and sidewalks. Having just driven to Metro on a day deemed too tricky for an on-time start, I can vouch that the county made the right call today.

But I can remember what a mess it was when the kids were young and school started at 11:05 rather than the (already late) 9:05. I could barely transcribe an interview before they were home again. And there's something about the moral relativity of a two-hour delay that disheartens me. It's mushy, especially when employed too often.

Perhaps that's why I slogged into the office today. It was hard ... but it was pure.

(We only got an inch of snow today; the photos is from 2010.) 

Labels: , , ,

blogger counters