Thursday, March 22, 2018

Wandering in the Square

Yesterday I found myself with a windfall, a three-hour window without meetings or interviews.

I also found myself in Patan Durbar Square. Durbar squares (I've just learned) are plazas opposite old royal palaces. The Patan one is, according to the guidebook "a marvel of Newari architecture."The Newaris are the original inhabitants of the Kathmandu Valley.

The square was filled with stupas and temples ... and rubble. The 2015 earthquake is still very much in evidence here, with piles of gravel, half restored buildings and blue tarps everywhere. The town is also getting a new water supply, which means even more digging and dust.

None of this stops anyone, though, least of all the ubiquitous and death-defying motorcycle taxis, which whizz around corners with complete abandon.

Luckily, I found a car taxi to take me home. All I  had to do was share it with the driver's brothers and a 100-pound bag of concrete.

It was the perfect way to wind down a wander.
blogger counters