Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Smile Lines

It's the last day of a soggy July, and I'm reminding myself that if we have to have extreme weather, better excess moisture than excess heat. People in northern California wouldn't mind some rain about now, as they struggle with temps of 110 and a fire so intense that it's creating its own winds and tornadoes.

Compared with that, I can easily find something nice to say about the frequent showers and thundershowers, the coziness they impart on a rainy Saturday afternoon. How they nurture the young trees we planted this spring. How little watering there is to do.

Of course, if I really could choose, I'd prefer ample rains that fall at night and leave the days sunny and clear. But since I can't, I'm remembering lines from a Robert Frost poem about reconciling the choices we can't make. They always make me smile.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Labels: ,

blogger counters