Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Leaving Ireland

I never like to leave a place, especially one as lovely as Ireland. But if you're going to travel, eventually you have to move on. So what are we taking away from this trip?

We've talked about this a lot, recalling long-ago jaunts when we returned all fired up about something: living a simpler life or drinking tea from china cups.

This time it's hard to define "the lesson." I'd like to travel more and work less, but that's not possible now. Finding myself taking notes during the walking tours reminds me how much I love to learn and would like to go back to school someday. Again, not possible ... yet.

What will remain with me from this trip to Ireland, which was very much what remained with me from the last one, is the beauty of the Irish landscape and the warmth of the Irish people. Much has changed in the decades since I was here last. The nation is far more prosperous and modern, and there seem to be 10 times more cars on the road — all of them barreling at us down a narrow, hedge-lined lane.

But the people are as kind and funny as ever. They made us laugh. They won our hearts.



blogger counters