Thursday, January 3, 2019

Keeping it Real

Every year on New Year's Day, the Washington Post's Style section features an "In-Out" list. As the years pass, I understand fewer references. But I always get enough of them (Out: Meghan Markle; In: Megan Markle's baby) to glean a smile or two from the whole thing.

The item that made me laugh the most this year was number two in the hit parade:
Out: Keep Portland Weird.  In: Keep Crystal City Weird.

As I type these words I look out the window at Crystal City—its military precision, its empty buildings and plazas (even emptier now during the government shutdown), its anything-but-weirdness.

Yes, I feel a bit protective of this Arlington neighborhood, where I slog three or four mornings a week; where you're more likely to see a soldier in camouflage than an artist in grunge; where even the foliage is orderly (see above).

Avant-garde it ain't.

But it's my workplace now, and I've come to terms with its straight-arrow ways. So as HQ2 moves in, I'll be on the lookout for creeping signs of Left Coast-ness. Let's keep Crystal City ... uh, Crystal City.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters