Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Decisions, Decisions

My morning commute involves driving to the Metro station, riding the train seven stops, hopping off, trudging up the escalator to an express bus that takes me to Crystal City, then walking to the office. Four segments, three types of transport, but it works. It's a routine, something I could negotiate in my sleep — and often feel like I do.

When it's very cold or rainy, I vary this slightly, stay on the train one more stop, then switch to another train, which also goes to Crystal City, where I can walk to within a few hundred feet of my office without going outside. This is the longer option, and it lacks the escalator walk (which has become part of my fitness routine), so I seldom take it.

This morning, though, I debated, because for once I dressed for afternoon warmth and not morning chill. When the train pulled closer to my stop, I deliberated. If I just missed a bus, I would have to wait and be cold. If I stayed on I would stay warm. What should I do? I really couldn't decide.

At the last second, I stuffed the newspaper in my bag and jumped off the train. I'll probably just miss the bus, I thought. But no, the bus was there. I stayed warm and got to my destination, where the time I've saved I'm now spending on this post.

Decisions, decisions.

Labels:

blogger counters