Saturday, July 27, 2019

Beach State

Today I leave the beach. That much is indisputable. But I hope to keep the beach state.

The beach state, as you might suspect, is the habit of pondering clouds and palm trees. It's also the habit of not caring as much about every little thing. It's the habit of letting go.

Beaches, after all, are receptacles. Onto them is thrown the flotsam of the sea, and from this random collection of shells and plastic bits comes sand both smooth and powdery (depending upon how close it is to the ocean). The beach, in short, is accomplished at acceptance.

This is something I would like to emulate, the beach state of acceptance. So it's that I would like to take home with me.

It's easy to think about retaining the beach state with the smell of sun on my skin and a tropical breeze moving palm fronds to and fro. Much more difficult when I'm standing on a crowded Metro train or sitting at my office desk, up to my ears in work.

But that's when the beach state is needed most of all.

Labels: ,

blogger counters