Thursday, August 22, 2019

Sweet Little Liriope

I know few plants by their proper names. I only accidentally learned the name liriope when a friend, an avid gardener, admired it in the yard. I acted like I knew what she was talking about: "Oh yes, the liriope. I like it too."

In truth I didn't know what it was, and I certainly didn't know that it flowered. I thought it was a grass-like ground cover that never bloomed. But I've learned to appreciate its sweet lavender blossom, its hardiness. Like the crepe myrtle, it brings color to the late-summer garden.

It's also demure, and I've come to realize that I admire that in a plant. Something that doesn't call attention to itself, that improves on second glance, that brightens the dreariest corner.

And that would be ... liriope.




Labels: ,

blogger counters