Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Contemplative Tasks

A walker in the suburbs spends a lot of time thinking. So does a writer in the suburbs (or the city, depending upon whether I'm working at home or at the office).

I think best, though, when I'm doing something else. And I was thinking the other day (see?!) about how certain tasks are perfect for contemplation.

This will come as no surprise to monks and nuns who pray ceaselessly whether they're hoeing a field or baking a fruitcake. They've long since realized how much physical labor lends itself to thought and prayer.

Walking, of course, is one of the most contemplative occupations, which is a large part of why I do it. Others include weeding, mowing, sweeping and ironing.

Each of these deserves its own post (and some have them), but I'm focusing today on what they have in common, on the pulling and the stretching, the pounding and the smoothing — on all the repetitive motions that exercise the muscles so the mind can roam free.

(Once freed, a mind can go anywhere.) 

Labels: , ,

blogger counters