Monday, November 11, 2019

On Veteran's Day

It's impossible not to think of my favorite veteran on Veteran's Day, so Dad will be much on my mind today. And, because it is a federal holiday, I'll be able to drive into the office and back, creating a more "flow" commute than usual. Beyond these realities, what's on my mind this Veteran's Day is that this dear country, which so many have fought and died for, needs us in ways it never has before.

When my son-in-law took the oath of citizenship last August, he pledged to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Those of us lucky enough to be born here never take such an oath, unless we serve in the military or other public service. But I think many of us would go to great lengths to make this nation a less divisive place.

So what can we do? Maybe something that's not very complicated. Something that doesn't require signing up or shipping out. Something like this: that we try every day to understand those on the other side of the political divide.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters