Monday, January 27, 2020

The Trees

I read over the weekend of a dispute among neighbors over a stream restoration project in Hollin Hills. One side believes it's imperative that Fairfax County fix the damaged stream and the polluted runoff that infests it. The other says that it's doesn't need to go about it in such a scorched-earth way.

One big difference between the two sides: preserving trees. As a walker in the suburbs, I know what it feels like to have a beloved woods opened up and hollowed out. Nature alone is doing such a grand job of this that it seems a shame for humans to be helping.

In our woods it sometimes seems as if there are as many downed trees as there are upright ones. Drought has weakened many of the old oaks and high winds have brought them down. The woods are open and airier than they used to be.

While this is just part of the cycle, I miss the denser, more all-encompassing woods that were here when we arrived. I miss the sense of enclosure, the way the light looks filtering through a dense canopy. All of which is to say that if I lived in Hollin Hills ... I'd be fighting for the trees.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters