Thursday, July 16, 2020

Outside the Lines

I won't say I wrote the first over-parenting book, but I did write an early one. So I pay attention when new volumes come out on the topic.  One of the latest is Parenting Outside the Lines by Meghan Leary, which is excerpted in the Washington Post today.

Leary has her work cut out for her. The little I've been learning about the commercial assault on and considerable expectations of parents these days, the more amazed I am. Take the products and gadgets that are supposedly filling needs but are actually inflaming fears.

There's something called the Owlet Smart Sock, which keeps tabs on baby's vital signs so you can sleep in peace. Sleep in peace, that is, until baby kicks off the Owlet Smart Sock, at which point you run, heart-pacing, into the nursery to find your sweet babe snoozing in rosy good health. Of course, you're awake for the night.

One thing I'm sure of — every parent wants the best for her child. The question is, how to achieve it. And the infuriating answer is .. we don't really know for sure. Accepting that answer, believing in that answer, can take a lifetime.




Labels: , ,

blogger counters