Friday, September 18, 2020

Magic Beans

Yesterday, at the end of a busy workday, there was a wee little knock at the door. I didn't hear it at first due to Copper's loud response. And since he barks often when given the front yard to survey, I assumed it was more of the same. Turns out it was one of our new neighbors, age 8, doing some door-to-door sales. 

"Would you like to buy some magic beans?" she said, holding out a handful of small acorns for me to see. "Only a dollar for four."

"Ah, only a dollar for four," I said, stalling for time. 

With the poise of a true saleswoman, she rushed in when I hesitated. "Or, I can make it five for a dollar," she quickly added.

"Hmmmm," I said. "Well, I think I will buy only four this time. Let me go get you the dollar."

She was ecstatic when I returned, as was her sidekick, one of the three precious boys who lives across the street and who was apparently going to share in the proceeds of this incredibly savvy scheme of selling something that is piling up all around us. 

With everyone working at home these days, this budding entrepreneur will have plenty of customers. I can't wait to see what she'll offer next: maybe a special on autumn leaves. 

Labels: ,

blogger counters