Sunday, September 13, 2020

Grandparents' Day

It's the first Sunday after Labor Day, which means ...  it's Grandparents' Day! This is the first time I've ever paid much attention to this day, though I think I occasionally sent my parents my kids' hand-scrawled notes around this time of year. Now, I'm the grandparent. I'm still wondering how that happened! 

But, since it did, I decided to look into the derivation of the holiday. Turns out, Grandparents' Day is not a Hallmark creation. It was started in 1956 by a woman in West Virginia who volunteered with older folks and wanted to create a way to honor them. Grandparents' Day became a national holiday in 1978. 

What I also learned from googling, though, is that today is Father's Day in Latvia and Macedonia, Day of the Homeland in Germany, and Knabenschiessen (a holiday based around a target-shooting competition) in Switzerland. It's also National Peanut Day. 

So we grandparents don't have a lock on this day. Like every other holiday, we have to share it. 

Labels: ,

blogger counters