Friday, September 4, 2020

Public Transport

My world changed dramatically on March 12, 2020, the last day I commuted into Washington, D.C. for my job. With my company having decided that the earliest we will return is January 2021, and the openness to telework after that, I think it's fairly safe to assume that I probably won't have to work in an office full-time again.

This is amazing in many ways, one of which is that is that I've gone from riding public transport three to four times a week to ... not at all. And I'm not the only one. According to statistics in this morning's Washington Post, ridership in one local transit system dropped by 95 percent. Similar shifts are happening in cities all over the country. 

I'm sorry about this, sorry because I think public transportation is the way more of us should be getting around. But I'm happy too, because my commute was a grueling, often three-hour roundtrip. I imagine I'm not alone in these mixed feelings. 

It's only one of many challenges created by the strange new environment in which we live. Only one of many models, ways of doing things, that are crumbling, morphing, transforming, becoming a new world, seemingly overnight.

Labels: ,

blogger counters