Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Still Outside

I write this post as I have written so many others the past few months: sitting on the deck in this lovely outside "room," where I have a front-row seat on bird flight, leaf fall and squirrel shenanigans. 

It's quite mild and pleasant now, but Monday morning I took the call to al fresco work to rather ridiculous proportions. Bundled in three layers of cotton, wool and down, I cut the fingertips off a pair of old gloves and donned a hat, too. My colleagues said I looked ready for the ski slopes. Instead, I was ready for a hot bath. It took a while to thaw out! 

The fact is, I don't want to move inside. Moving inside means winter is coming, means the boundaries are closing in. I have a fantasy that I can work out here at least down to 50 degrees F. And, as long as it's not windy (which was Monday's problem), I think I can. 

As for now, I'm looking at the splendor around me: trees just starting to turn, flowering annuals holding bloom, sunlight dappling the lawn. It's October, it's mellow, and (yes!) I'm still working outside. 

Labels: ,

blogger counters