Wednesday, November 4, 2020

The Blackout

I've been awake for hours and have seen only the barest shred of news, an update that appeared unbidden on my phone screen about the vote tally in Arizona. I'm trying to see how long I can hold out without looking at a news or social media site, without turning on the television or picking up the newspaper, which lies forlornly out by the forsythia bush. 

It's not that I don't want to know the current tallies. I'm as curious as the next person, I imagine. But I also know that once I look, the truth (whatever it is right now, even if inconclusive) will be with me — and I won't be able to ignore it or wish it away.

So I've drifted through the day in my own bubble, writing in my journal and on this screen, exercising on the elliptical and stretching on the floor, making and sipping a cup of tea, tidying up. 

I know I can't keep up this blackout forever. Curiosity will get the better of me and I'll peak at some sites, learn some totals. But until then, I'm enjoying my own little news-free zone. It's calm and cozy in here. 


Labels: ,

blogger counters