Wednesday, November 11, 2020

November Question

Warm Novembers confront us with a question: Is it the early darkness that makes the month gloomy — or the cold temperatures? Melville would say the latter, I think, at least he would if we take the famous opening lines of Moby Dick with its "damp, drizzly November in my soul" as proof of where the novelist stood on the matter.

For many of us, though, it's not just the damp drizzle; it's also the early darkness, the dying of the light. I saw this first hand in the parakeets yesterday. Lulled into autumnal complacency by the mid-70 temps, I brought the birds out onto the deck to share the glass-topped table with me as I worked. 

They were chattering and happy, doing their best to respond to wild bird calls ... until the sun began slanting lower and lower in the sky.  Then, as if on cue, they quieted and calmed, began tucking their heads into their wings. 

Even when it's warm, the early darkness has its way with us. 



Labels: , , , ,

blogger counters