Wednesday, December 2, 2020

A Rose in December

One of the joys and hassles of a long-lived blog like this one is that I sometimes repeat myself. I feel relatively certain I've written of "Roses in December" (ah yes, there it is!), so I must find a new title for this one. How about "A Rose in December." (The change is duly made.)

Having settled on a title now, then what about the meaning. I'm happy to announce that it's a straightforward one today — the joy of seeing this bloom so late in the season, of feeling that it's a slap in the face to subfreezing overnights and brisk western breezes. 

And yes, it brings back the long ago memory of a walled garden and its promise of warmth. But it is also a joy in and of itself. 

This year's rose, no doubt fueled by a wet spring and moderate summer, has supplied me with blossoms from May to December. I've taken a rose to my just-born granddaughter and her mother in late October and could have given one to my November 30th-birthday daughter, had I the ability to ship it across the country. But that, alas, is beyond my power. 

One thing I know about these roses is how delicate they are, how fragile to the touch. They, like so much else in life, are better off the less they are disturbed. 


blogger counters