Monday, November 23, 2020

Slouching Toward Improvement

I have a long career in slouching: sliding down into the comfy cushions of the new couch, propping myself up with pillows in the overstuffed chair and, before these pieces of furniture were here, doing whatever I could to make horizontal whatever vertical piece of furniture I inhabited. 

Maybe it comes from having long legs and needing a place to put them. Or maybe from spending way too much time on my posterior. Whatever it is, I'm vowing to change. 

The reason: I've come to realize something I knew all along but which my forgiving back has let me ignore: that young slouchers may look all limber and cozy, but old slouchers look pained. 

I'm sitting up straighter, aided by a fine office chair that encourages good posture. When I'm not there I'm either standing (as I am now) or putting pillows behind my back to keep myself upright. 

It will take a while, this shift in posture. But I'm ... slouching toward improvement. 

Labels:

blogger counters