Friday, January 8, 2021

Lopez and Place

I learned earlier this week that the author Barry Lopez died on Christmas Day. I've only read one book by Lopez, but it made quite an an impression. 

Lopez's masterpiece Arctic Dreams is sometimes called a travel book. But as many critics have noted, it's much more than that. "Arctic Dreams is a book about the Arctic North in the way that Moby Dick is a novel about whales," the critic Michiko Kakutani wrote.

For me, Arctic Dreams was one of the first books that awakened an appreciation of writing about place. Since then, I've come to love the words of Annie Dillard, Henry Beston, John Graves, Aldo Leopold and many more. I've come to realize the power of writing about where we are rooted, of paying attention to the trees and animals and vistas that sanctify a city, a seashore, a ranch, a farm, a home. 

Lopez died of complications from prostate cancer, but according to his wife, his ailments intensified after wildfires destroyed his house in Oregon last September. He lost all his original manuscripts and a lifetime of artifacts. Most of all, I thought as I read his obituary ... he lost his place. 

(Photo: Brian Schaller/Wikimedia)

Labels: ,

blogger counters