Thursday, May 6, 2021

Missing the Point

In the work-for-hire phase of my life (which ended all of four days ago), I frequently used what I've come to think of as the make-nice punctuation mark.

"Good morning!" I would say cheerily to IT before launching into my request for help with a tech crisis. "No problem!" I would exclaim to the last-minute request for editing services that, truth be told, was indeed a problem. And of course, the ubiquitous "Thanks!" when I used the exclamation point to soften my own last-minute requests for help. 

Now I must retrain myself in the proper use of this punctuation mark, which is sparing. I must try harder to communicate the import of the thought in the words themselves rather than using a vertical line with a dot below it to do the work for me. 

"Do not attempt to emphasize simple statements by using a mark of exclamation," say Strunk and White in The Elements of Style. And who am I to argue with them?

Which is not to say that the exclamation point will disappear entirely from my life. It will continue to clutter up emails and personal correspondence, I'm sure. Will I be missing the point? You bet I will!

(Graphic courtesy Wikipedia)


Labels:

blogger counters