Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Discipline

What a solid word it is, the ascender and descender anchoring it to the line, the three i's a constant, the other consonants rounding it out. Though it's difficult to see the word without the lens of meaning, even its structure seems no-nonsense.

Discipline for so long my way of life, a particular discipline made for the paid workforce. And now, the freedom, intoxicating and terrifying, an end to the regimentation I chafed against for years.

And yet, some discipline still. In some ways even more, but of a different type, one that I devise and (I hope) enforce. 

Discipline so different it seems to require a new word. Not control, structure or regulation. None of those will do. Some word I've yet to come up with. 

I'll let you know when I do. 

(A deer spotted up close on yesterday's walk, which has nothing much to do with discipline but was a photo I had handy.)

Labels: ,

blogger counters