Monday, July 26, 2021

One-Car Weekend

I remember when the driveway used to resemble a parking lot — five drivers and as many as four cars. Lately, there have just been two parked there, both gray sedans. And starting Friday, with one car in the shop, there's just been one. 

This might have seemed difficult in the past, a juggling act, but lately not so much. We  often run errands separately, but those can be planned around each other. Appointments seldom overlap. Neither of us parks our car all day at a Metro lot.

Life is simpler in this respect, and it makes me wonder ... could we do this permanently? I'd like to say yes, doing our bit for the carbon footprint and all, but I'll have to say no. 

In the suburbs, the car is autonomy, mastery and sometimes salvation. I'm thinking about the other day, when a walk I thought would be one hour was more than two, how glad I was to see my car parked beneath the trees, waiting to carry me home.

So as much as I'd like to be noble and economical, I'm hoping that the one-car weekend doesn't become a one-car week. 

Labels: , ,

blogger counters