Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Christmas Oratorio

Walking to a holiday playlist the other day, I made a merry discovery: the opening chorus of Bach's Christmas Oratorio is just my speed. It's a bouncy piece of music, and when I was striding down the W&OD trail, dodging the bicycles, it seemed just about perfect.

There's the timpani pounding out the beat, the flutes trilling in response, the trumpets soaring above it all, and then, of course, the chorus, entering in unison before breaking into various voices throughout the movement.

I looked up the English translation later. "Shout for joy, exult, rise up, glorify the day."  The kind of words angels might use when announcing the birth of Jesus to shepherds in the fields. 

But even before I knew the meaning, the melody and meter passed through my ears to my feet, in that way that only music can.

Labels: ,

blogger counters