Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Eighty Years

Shortly after publishing yesterday's post, I realized that yesterday was the 80th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Eighty years ... 

I looked back to see what I'd written on the 70th anniversary, and there was something I'd forgotten about: a special showing of the movie "12 O'Clock High" at a Lexington, Kentucky, cinema, which Dad had organized and hosted. 

I remember that now, how excited he was about it, how he had a little display area out in the vestibule of the movie house, with uniforms and medals and other memorabilia loaned by members of the Kentucky chapter of the 8th Air Force Historical Society.

Now, the World War II veterans are almost all gone. One of the more famous, Bob Dole, just passed away at the age of 98. My dad was not one of the more famous, except to me and the rest of us who loved him. But Dad was World War II to me, and since he's been gone, I read as little about it as possible. 

(Photo: Genealogy Trails History Group)

Labels: , ,

blogger counters