Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Empty Corner

The living room is larger today. Wing chairs are back in their usual places, flanking the grandfather clock. It's easier to reach books on the far shelves, and plants can stretch and breathe. 

What's missing is the Christmas tree, fragrant and bedazzled. The tree that blocked the bookshelves and required major furniture rearranging. The tree that bore the weight of glass globes, tin stars and ceramic angels with grace and dignity. 

This morning I moved toward the far corner of the living room to turn on the tree lights, as I have been every day for more than three weeks. I was ready once again to be bathed only in its reds, greens and blues. 

Then I remembered, the corner is empty, the tree is gone. This morning, I sit in its shadow.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters