Thursday, March 3, 2022

Whimsical Walk

The suburb of Reston, Virginia, is made for walking. Trails wind from neighborhood to neighborhood. Founder Robert E. Simon (the "RES" in Reston) designed the suburb for living and working. The trails connect the two.

Yesterday I strolled from Reston's earliest "downtown," Lake Anne, to its newest, Reston Town Center.  I'd never taken this path before, though I'd skirted quite close to it through the years. 

Along the way, I passed Hickory Cluster, a midcentury modern townhome development with big windows and geometric lines created in the 1960s by architect Charles Goodman. There were impromptu conversations in the community forest, one woman with a pair of corgis, another with a fluffy golden retriever. 

I passed a small giveaway library and the charming little scene above. The whimsy suited the place, looked perfectly at home among the woodland paths and the open common. I slowed my pace because I didn't want this walk to end.

Labels: ,

blogger counters