Thursday, September 8, 2022

R.I.P., Queen Elizabeth

I'm late posting today, which means I can use this space to express my condolences to the British people upon the loss their monarch. Queen Elizabeth reigned for 70 years. As recently as Tuesday she was photographed at Balmoral Castle in a sweater and kilt, smiling as she greeted Liz Truss, the 15th prime minister of her tenure as queen. 

I've spent some time looking at that photograph today, wondering what sort of pain and discomfort she may have been hiding, may often have been hiding, as she went about her duties. There are the sensible shoes, there the ever-present handbag, a detail I always found noteworthy and today find especially touching. 

My impression of Queen Elizabeth has been formed not only by history books and newspapers, but also by the Netflix series "The Crown," which has emphasized the Queen's dedication to duty. And surely she maintained that dedication to the end. 

Newscasters have been exclaiming that immediately after the flag was lowered at Buckingham Palace a rainbow appeared in the sky. I checked for images, thinking it seemed too hokey to be true, but yes, it really happened. 

(Photo: Leon Neal, Getty Images, New York Times)

Labels:

blogger counters