Thursday, February 16, 2023

No Map, No Phone

The trail was unfolding as it had the last few times I hiked it. I thought I knew where I was going ... until I didn't. 

Yesterday I took off for a stroll in the woods without a phone or a map. This was not a well-marked Reston trail, where I usually know where I am. This was one of the district parks with sporadic signage and paths that meander all over the place.

When I saw the outlines of a rooftop in the distance, I took the turns I thought would bring me out on a street where I could get my bearings. But even doing that took more twists and turns than I would have liked. I was, in short, beginning to feel a bit anxious about being in the woods alone at 4 p.m., the sun lowering in the sky, not knowing exactly where I was and without the tools to find out. 

This is not a cliff-hanger. I kept walking and eventually made my way home. And in the end ... I relished that my heart skipped a few beats along the way. 

(Signage for a walk near Asheville, the kind I wished I'd had yesterday.)

Labels:

blogger counters