Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Finding Hildasay

People who know me know I like to read, and sometimes they give me a book they think I'll like. Finding Hildasay is one of those. It's the story of a veteran from the United Kingdom who decided to walk the entire UK coastline. 

I've walked a few feet of the UK coastline (!), and books about walking are a sub-genre I enjoy, so it's no wonder that this volume found its way into my hands.

I'm so glad it did. Christian Lewis took off on his journey with £10 to his name. He foraged for food, survived 70-mile-an-hour winds, and never gave up on his quest. Hildasay is the Shetland island where he spent three months during the pandemic lockdown. It was where he finally had the time to reflect upon what he had achieved: the depression he had beaten, the money he had raised for a veterans' charity, the  sense of purpose he had found.

The book stops mid-journey, so I wondered what was up. Could there be a sequel? Well yes there is. I have a feeling I'll be reading it soon.

(The coastline of the Orkney Islands, as close to Hildasay as I've traveled.)

Labels: , ,

blogger counters