Saturday, July 20, 2024

Tiny Lizards

Every year when I'm in Florida I see the tiny lizards known as anoles. They're cute little critters with big eyes, holes for ears and long tails that detach if you pull too hard on them.

These small reptiles scamper and dart. They puff up and slim down. When frightened, they freeze and hide themselves among the scrub. 

I've had time on this trip to observe anoles up close, to watch them do what appears to be pushups but I'm sure is not, to wonder what they eat. (The answer: crickets, flies, mealworms and ants.)

Today I spotted an anole camouflaged on the bark of a palmetto plant. He was missing the fingers of his right hand. It wasn't slowing him down, though. He was clinging tightly with his remaining digits, and taking life as it comes.

Labels: ,

blogger counters