Tuesday, April 27, 2010

There is a Morning


"Will there really be a morning? Is there such a thing as day?
Could I see it from the mountains, if I were as tall as they?"

These lines rolled through my head last night as I tossed and turned, unable to sleep. What got me going? Unsettled dreams, our upcoming travels (what they call "good stress"), or just the normal wear and tear of daily life that frays the spirit enough to set the ends flapping in the wee hours, waking us with their clamor. As usual, I shifted position scores of times, made mental lists, fretted over words said and unsaid. I didn't get up and read; I was tired enough that I hoped to be drowsy again momentarily. But the moments became hours. I did, however, drop off again eventually, so that I can at least pretend to have been asleep all night, so that I can answer Emily Dickinson's question, "Will there really be a morning?" with "Oh, yes. There is a morning, all right. And it comes much too soon."

Labels:

blogger counters