Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Grasping the Moment

There was a last-minute offer to grill, a request for chicken, zucchini and tomatoes, all of which I gladly supplied. And then there was transporting the grill, the real thing, the Weber, with its bag of charcoal.

The real grill takes time to heat up so there were games of catch with Copper, plenty of ins and outs through the backdoor. People appeared on the deck, talked on their phones and then vanished back inside. Earlier we had sifted through an album, found a black and white photo of Tom from his long-hair days. This was passed around and admired. We opened some hard cider, marveling at its tang and effervescence.

Two more friends appeared, and now it was an impromptu party. I bounced on the trampoline, listening to songs I'd just bought: "Teach Your Children Well," "September," "Your Song," "Morning has Broken."

My troubles left me alone for this blissful, golden evening. The late light glancing the trunks of the oaks, the hydrangea blooming, voices from inside, laughing. People, young people, talking about music and jokes and places we don't know and never care to find out. Someone could have pulled out a guitar, strummed a few chords, and I wouldn't have been surprised. Maybe next time. It was life renewing itself. And I was pulled along by it, glad for the ride.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters