Friday, February 1, 2013

Violets, Again


Violets are part of my emotional-horticultural heritage. My mother has always loved them and her mother, my namesake, always loved them, too. I have very few of my grandmother’s possessions, but I do have her violet-patterned cup and saucer set, and I treasure it.

In a way, the violet is a strange flower to claim. Many consider it a weed. It's mowed down as often as it's cultivated.

But even without the family tradition, I would like this flower. Maybe it’s the color combination, the vividness of the purple, the way it’s grounded by the green. Or maybe it’s the way it clusters with its own, as if waiting to be gathered into a bouquet. In the general boisterousness that is spring, the violet is shy and unassuming; it doesn't ask for much.

 For that reason, it's an easy flower to love.


(Happy Birthday, Mom!)

Labels:

blogger counters