Thursday, April 11, 2013

Wild Ride

The magazine I edit is stored in the second (deepest) level of the parking garage under the building next door. Ferrying our shipment of magazines from truck to cage involves a handcart that slides under the pallet so it can be lifted and pushed to its destination.

But when its destination is down two steep ramps and there are more magazines than usual, it's a wild ride.

"This weighs 1,200 pounds," said the driver when he surveyed the scene. "You want me to push it down that ramp?"

"Yes," I nodded, adding something vague about how there must be more boxes this time, the delivery is usually no problem.

The driver used the side of the ramp to slow the momentum, but there was still a point when I thought we might have a runaway pallet on our hands. "This is like a ride at King's Dominion," the driver said.

The boxes eventually reached their destination, but it would take another guy and another handcart to finish the job. Along the way I moved some pallets and boxes myself.

Woke up this morning with aching arms and back. What gives? I thought at first. Oh, that's right, it was yesterday's delivery. It was a wild ride.


Photo: bestcardboardboxes.com

Labels:

blogger counters