Thursday, September 11, 2014

Writing and Forgiveness

When I picked up Ann Patchett's book This is the Story of a Happy Marriage I wasn't expecting an essay collection.  Whatever review convinced me to foist it on my (decidedly pro fiction) book group had long since vanished from my sieve-like brain. I like Ann Patchett's writing — and that's that.

But the book is an essay collection and the essay I'm reading now, which has also been published as a single, is "The Getaway Car." It's about writing. And forgiveness.

"I grieve for my own lack of talent and intelligence. Every. Single. Time. Were I smarter, more gifted, I could pin down a closer facsimile of the wonders I see. I believe, more than anything, that this grief of constantly having to face down our own inadequacies is what keeps people from being writers. Forgiveness, therefore, is key. I can't write the book I want to write, but I can and will write the book I'm capable of writing. Again and again throughout the course of my life I will forgive myself."

Writing and forgiveness. I hadn't linked them like this before, hadn't thought of how much slack the rope requires before it turns taut and stops you. Now I have.


Labels: ,

blogger counters