Thursday, March 19, 2015

Feeling Sorry for the Circus

I started feeling sorry for the circus even before I heard about the elephants. I knew it was only a matter of time before the elephants disappeared. Now I can't help but think the whole enterprise may be on the way out.

The posters arrived a few weeks ago, pasted all over the Metro system. The circus is coming, the circus is coming! "Hmmm," say the children, barely lifting their heads from their iPads, phones and computers.

The circus may be losing the battle, but it's not going down without a fight. "Believe in the unbelievable," trumpet the posters. But what is unbelievable anymore? Surely anything can happen, anything does. Dancing dogs, contortionists, trapeze artists, a man shot from a cannon. But how can these compare to even one frame of a computer game, film or TV show?

Yes, the circus is real; humans and animals defy gravity, death, the possibility of humiliation. But what does it matter?

Will the circus be around 20 years from now? I hope so. I'd like to say yes. But then again I like to believe in the unbelievable.

Labels: ,

blogger counters